Monday, January 30, 2012

Gilead*

Day 30/366 (1/30/2012)

As I ran today (P.S. Holy cow, I actually ran today...fairly monumental for a weekday), I contemplated which photo I could take to illustrate the greatness of our Creator.  I wished it was possible to take my camera with me as I ran.  Near our home are rolling hills and orange groves all nestled into the foothills of the lower Sierra Nevadas.  On the return trek, the view of the valley was wholly breathtaking.  Irrigation water ran off down the sides of the street, the air was crisp and tinged with citrus, properties lined with palm trees sat like sentinels in the twilight.  Perfect.  Our own So Cal Gilead.

Instead...you get salad.  Shrink yourself down and pretend with me that you're in the midst of the groves, the palms, the cool runoff.  Or just appreciate a really beautiful Asian sesame salad.

There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin sick soul.
Sometimes I feel discouraged,
And think my work’s in vain,
But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my soul again.
Refrain
If you can’t preach like Peter,
If you can’t pray like Paul,
Just tell the love of Jesus,
And say He died for all.
Refrain

                             
African American Spiritual
 *In the Bible, "Gilead" means hill of testimony or mound of witness, (Genesis 31:21), a mountainous region east of the Jordan River.  (Wikipedia.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. Blessings to you!